THe Great Gastby
Sept 14/15: The Great Gatsby Chapter 5
Sept 12/13: The Great Gatsby Chapter 4
Sept 8/11: The Great Gatsby Chapter 3
Sept 6/7: The Great Gatsby Chapter 2
Sept 1/5: The Great Gatsby Chapter 1
Aug 30/31: Who Is Nick?
- Read the first 5 pages of chapter one; stop at "And just after the war I spent two days with them in Chicago." Then answer the following questions:
- Given the first three pages, explain the structure of the narrative Fitzgerald uses in telling the story.
- Who is the narrator?
- Notice how many times Fitzgerald uses the words hope, or dream. Why does he do this?
- Explain: “Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope”
- What does this passage mean?
- What is the “bond business”? Given what you know about the era, what is the importance of this occupation?
- How does Fitzgerald contrast the aerial view of the Eggs of Long Island? Why is this important?
- According to the narrator what was the difference between the two Eggs?
- Describe Gatsby’s house.